Search This Blog

Friday, February 12, 2010

Asis Photo Trek

During my last two days in Vietnam I decided to stay in Saigon.  The plan being to see what interesting photos I could capture in and around the city versus traveling to a location outside of the city to take photos.

Although I tried to stay away for the tourist spots I did manage to stumble into the Reunification Place and snap a few photos.  Nothing too interesting; however, they do tell a story about the countries history, and I think including a little history lesson on every trip is well worth the effort. 
I also photographed some other interesting pieces of Saigon architecture at night, as they are very impressive with all the lights.

 
 

As the date for the Lunar New Year approaches (14 Feb) the city gets busier and more decorations get put in place in preparation for the big celebration.  It's too bad that I can not stay for the celebration, as I am sure that it would have been an incredible experience.
 
Lunar New Year Celebration Decorations

Golden Tiger - This is the year of the Tiger

The following series of photos are of the moped and how effectively it is used by the Vietnamese people to transport almost anything.  It really is amazing to see and an great example of the creativity of the people living in Saigon.  Needless to say, you would never see something like this in Canada, as we are way too wrapped up in driving huge SUVs.  I guess it would also be hard to haul a snowmobile on the back of a moped.

 

Moped and picture frame.  Just two ladies out for a day of shopping.  I wonder how many trips it takes to do a full day of shopping?



Moped and balloons.  I am sure they are just for the New Year celebration.  I watched this guy for a bit of time, and for some odd reason he was having a tough time with the wind.  I wonder why?

 
Moped and cooking oil.  I wonder if they are full cans?  Now that would be heavy.

Another picture frame.  I wonder who was the lucky one to carry the glass for that frame?

Moped and empty containers.  Can you imagine if they were full?

Moped and produce.  I am not sure, but I think this is the John Deere of mopeds ;-P

Moped and flowers.  I am sure this guy was just making a delivery.


Moped and ???.  Your guess is as good as mine.  Good use of packing tape though.

Moped and family.  I have seen up to 5 people on a single moped, so this one actually has room for two more people.
Moped and ...................wheel chair.  It took me until they actually passed by for me to figure out what was being carried.  Oddly enough I did not see any handicap parking decal on the moped.

Moped parking.  And this is just s small parking lot.  Mopeds can be found parking in pretty much every corner of the city, and even in the lobby of the hotel.

Moped and empty coke bottles.  I tried to get one of the guy hauling the full bottles; however, I was not quick enough with the camera.  I also tried to capture one of a guy hauling cases of beer.

So this ends my visit to Saigon.  My next blog entry will be from Thailand.  Although there are no stunning landscape, or sunset photos in my first blog postings the photos do hopefully provide some insight into what it is like in Saigon.  I wish that I had more time, as there are lots of other things to see and do in Vietnam, outside of Saigon.

1 comment:

  1. hey that was awesome trip., hope that someday i'll be there too and spend my time traveling nice places around this globe.. haha GREAT!!
    and ahh, also the city of love, PARIS..
    ATE, ang swerte mo naman,... tapos magaling kana nga talaga sa english ahh.. hehe Hi Scott.. :)
    -->MERLO

    ReplyDelete