Search This Blog

Saturday, February 6, 2010

Asia Photo Trek

Day 1 of the photo trek starts in Burnaby, BC with me jumping on the Skytrain and heading to the airport. Unfortunately this is a two part train ride, Skytrain to Waterfront Station and then the new Canada Line out to the airport. Total travel time for the trip was only 1 hr and cost $3.75 (2 zones). Except for the challenges associated with luggage the trip was pretty much uneventful, and the new Canada Line very impressive. Thanks Ron for taking my photo at Waterfront Station.

My arrival at the airport brought the first excitement for the trip. Although I am usually very good with math it would seem telling time is an issue, as I really messed up the time that I needed to be at the airport and instead of being 2 hrs before the flight only arrived 51 minutes before departure. Yikes, I am outside of the 60 minute minimum and was at risk of not being permitted to board. I must have looked desperate, as the Air Canada quickly spoke to her supervisor and obtained approval for me to board......THANK YOU SO MUCH....I wish that I had taken note of your name.

With 46 minutes remaining I did a mad dash to/through security and then right onto the plane. Thankfully there was no line at security.

I am hoping today is not an indication of how things will be for the rest of the trip. As I would prefer my excitement to be about the great sights that I will see versus missing flights, trains, etc.

The first leg of the flight was uneventful, thankfully, and ended with me landing in Shanghai China.  The unfortunate thing about having to make a connection in China, at least for this trip, requires picking up your luggage, clearing customs, checking in at the counter (again), and then going back through customs.  Which probably would not have been that bad had I not been told that my luggage was checked through to my final destination by the Air Canada staff in Vancouver.  So after a little running around I managed to find my luggage, check in, and make it to my gate....only to realize that I had 5 hours to wait.  Thankfully I qualified to use the Star Alliance lounge at the airport, and a fine looking airport it is if I must say so myself.

After a nice rest in Shanghai I boarded the flight for Ho Chi Minh city (only an hour late).  The connecting flight was operated by Shanghai Airlines, and I must say that I was a little concerned with boarding the plane as it was a little rough.  Sorry, no pictures, or should I say that you are welcome.

Although I was about 90 minutes arriving in Ho Chi Minh the hotel driver was still there waiting for me to arrive.  Note that anybody visiting Vietnam (Ho Chi Minh City) for the first time should definitely pre-arrange for a taxi to pick then up at the airport, as I cannot imagine driving in the city.

My first day in Ho Chi Minh was spent checking out the city, capturing a few photos of the architecture, enjoying some great Vietnamese coffee and relaxing.  The first photo I captured was of the the city hall (better photo, without me, to be posted as part of the gallery being produced for the trip (at the end).  For now you have to be happy with a few photos that also include me.

In my first day I spotted several opportunities to capture some interesting photos (e.g. lot of mopeds and the things people carry, architecture, people, Chinese New Year celebrations preparations, etc).  Now I just need to get out to capture the images when the light is good (these images will also appear in the gallery that will be produced at the end of my visit.)

No comments:

Post a Comment